About the Course
This course is of 4 months duration. On successful completion of this Pre-Sea Training, the candidates will be eligible to join India / Foreign Shipping companies as a Deck / Engine crew. With Further Sea Service, they will be promoted as a motorman/oil man. Fitter, Deck Serang, BOSUN, Able-Bodied Seaman. They can also be promoted to Officer Level with certain service and qualification requirements.
Merchant ships require qualified and competent personnel to man various services and systems on Board. After completing G.P. rating course a candidate can join either as a Deck rating or Engine rating.
Aims & Objectives of the Course
- A basic understanding of the Ship´s routine, its operations, legislation and related duties.
- A good foundation in the principles of Safety, Accident, Preventions, Pollution at Sea, Fire Fighting and First Aid.
- An idea of the theory and practice of a ship´s compass and hints on steering.
- Basic Engineering Knowledge, maintenance, and safe working practices.
- Knowledge regarding tools, equipment & instruments commonly found on board ships.
- Practical knowledge of handling Ropes, Blocks, Tackles & Rigging.
- Practical Training in handling a life-raft, lifeboat and starting its diesel engine.
- Practical workshop training in Carpentry, Plumbing, Machine Shop, Hot Work, Electrical and Diesel Engine Maintenance shop.
Curriculum for Pre- Sea Training for G.P. Rating
- Standard Marine Navigation Vocabulary and Use of English Language.
- Knowledge of Ships and Shipping Industry.
- Contribute to Monitoring and controlling a Safe Watch.
- Steer the Ship and Comply with Helm Orders.
- Keep a proper lookout by sight and by Hearing.
- Operate Emergency Equipment and Apply Emergency Procedure.
- Survive at Sea in the Event of Ship Abandonment.
- Minimize risk of Fire, Maintain State of Readiness, Fight and Extinguish Fires.
- Take Immediate Action Upon Encountering an Accident or Other Medical Emergencies.
- Comply with Emergency Procedures, Prevent Pollution and Contribute to Effective.
- Human Relationship on Board Ship.
- Machinery in Engine Room, Purpose, Location, and Basic Working Knowledge.
- Carry out Watch Keeping Duties as Engine Room Rating Safe Working Practices and Related Engine Room Operations.
- Basic Environment Protection Procedures.
Duration of the Course
Duration of the course is 4 months.
Pass with average 40% marks in 10th standard from a recognized board with Science, Mathematics as subject and with minimum 40% marks in English Language and medically fit as per M.S (Medical Examinations of Seafarers) Rules 2000.